Saturday, September 11, 2010

Mid-Contest Update 2

Practicing until 2am the day before the finals of a once-every-decade competition isn't traditionally seen as a smart thing to do... but it wouldn't be the first un-smart thing I've done in this run. And in context, I think it was the right thing to do. I feel a lot more confident now.

Listening to the recording of my playing today, I have to admit it sounded better than it felt. I get an A+++ for faking the parts where my hands and feet ended up in the wrong places. Ironically, I got more constructive criticism on the piece that felt totally comfortable than the one that felt like a war zone. So there's something to be said for the mind not being the final judge of things.

Its starting to dawn on me that I could win this. I could also easily not win it. But somehow, the win may be within my reach. That's a pretty exciting thought!

Of course, only time will tell. And really the most critical part is over... I made the finals. The rest is just icing. 12 hrs to the start of the finals, 16 hours to the end of this year's summer carillon season. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

leah said...

good luck! sending good energy your way...

Unknown said...

Very excited for you! Enjoy each moment.